There are numerous moving companies out there, so before booking a service it’s recommended that you get at least three moving quotes from different companies. Getting multiple quotes keeps you from paying too much for moving services and lets you find the company that best fits your budget.
A quote is just a quote though, so you may end up paying more if you decide to make changes right before or on the day of your move or if you’ve left something out of your inventory list. If the thought of sitting down to get moving quotes from three separate companies is a bit intimidating, there’s no need to worry – we’re here to help.
How to Start Looking For Moving Quotes
When it comes to getting moving quotes, you don’t want to just start submitting online price quote forms to random companies. Instead, it’s a good idea to sit down and do a bit of research first. There may be some terminology that you aren’t familiar with, such as binding and non-binding estimates, so it’s a good idea to review some of what to expect.
Once you’ve figured out what you can expect when getting in touch with moving companies, you can begin looking into different companies to find out what types of services they offer along with other important information about them. Look at the reviews they have received as well as how satisfied their customers were.
The moving companies you choose to be candidates for should always be licensed and insured, so you are covered if there is any damage or injury that occurs during your move. Narrow your search down depending on whether you are moving locally or long distance and then you’ll be able to find at least three movers near you that can help get your belongings packed and loaded.
To find moving companies, it may also help to speak with friends and family members who have moved into or out of the area. They can give you information about the companies they’ve interacted with and point you in the direction of movers you may be interested in working with so you feel more confident about your choice.
I’ve Found Candidates for Moving Companies - Now What?
Once you’ve found moving companies you’re interested in, you should still wait a second before calling and getting quotes. Before you can get an accurate quote you’re going to need to make an inventory of all of the items in your home that you want to be transported.
The inventory list is essential and makes sure that out of state movers know exactly what they are going to be handling and how much they need to be prepared for. An accurate inventory list makes a difference in your final costs and your initial quote, so this will require some time and plenty of organization.
Steps to Making an Inventory List
- Start by making a list for each room, labeling a sheet of paper so that you can easily write down items in each area of the home. To stay organized, it is recommended that you start from either the top or bottom of the home and work your way either up or down.
- Begin by listing larger items and furniture pieces that will need to be moved, such as couches, futons, bed frames, dressers, tables, and appliances. Next, look at smaller items like lamps, chairs, mirrors, and desks. Next, list any items in drawers, cabinets, and on shelves.
- You won’t need to write down every single item, but you should mark down items that are especially valuable. If you don’t want movers to mess with certain items, keep them on your person and do not list them on the inventory sheet.
- Your inventory list should also list the condition of your items as well as additional information that could come in handy in case damage occurs, such as the market value of the item, current condition, warranty documents, the room it was originally in, and the room it should be placed in.
- Taking pictures of valuables is also recommended, especially if you are worried about an item during your move. Photographs are also an easy way to document the current condition of items, which can save you some headache if you need to file a claim and prove the original item condition.
Once you have made your inventory list, it will pay to take advantage of online moving cost calculators to get a good preliminary idea of costs. Then it’s time to start contacting the moving companies you’ve narrowed your list down to. They should be able to quickly give you pretty accurate quotes for your move.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much should hiring a moving company cost?
The price for hiring movers will depend on how much is being moved, the distance of the move, and how many movers are working. Moving a small number of items can start at about $100 per hour for a local move, but you may incur higher prices if you have more items that need to be moved. Long distance movers generally charge by weight and distance, so a good inventory list is even more important than for local moves. Other considerations may factor in as well, such as stairs, additional moving services, and more.
How long does it take to get a moving quote?
Oftentimes you will get a quote for your move less than hour after submitting the necessary information. Once the moving company has looked over your inventory and has a good idea of what they can expect on the day of your move, they can provide a quote you can use to help make your final decision.
Will I know how long my move will take?
When you begin working with a moving company, they will provide you with a bill of lading that shows the timeline of your items being delivered. Other than that, keeping in contact with the movers transporting your items is the best way to stay in the know about how long your items will take to get to your new home.
Don’t Go Broke - Get Moving Quotes!
Getting multiple moving quotes can save you hundreds of dollars on your move, so don’t hesitate to put in a bit of work to find the moving company offering the best bang for your buck. Once you’ve got at least three online quotes, you can choose the movers that are just right for your move and budget.