The Top 5 State to State Movers Around You
You’re gearing up for an out-of-state move. It’s an exciting, yet stressful time.
While moving to a different state marks the beginning of a new chapter in your life, the process itself can be overwhelming.
First, find a reliable moving company that you can trust to safely transport your belongings across state lines. After that, there’s packing, the actual move, and the unloading of all your stuff. There’s a lot to be done!
To help you prepare for the big move, this shares recommendations of a few trusted state to state movers who are leaders in their industry. Plus, we’re offering a few tips to keep the moving costs down and ensure everything goes as smoothly as possible.
Top 3 Recommended State to State Movers
What to Look for in the Best State to State Movers
There are a lot of moving companies out there, meaning you’ll likely have to sift through a few options to find the one that’s right for you. When searching for the best state to state movers, there are a few factors you’ll want to consider before committing to a particular company.
The first thing to look for is whether or not the company handles moves across state lines. Many moving companies only stay local to their area or within the state. The other important factors to look at will require a little more research on your part. However, it’s worth it to ensure you book a reputable company that will take good care of your personal belongings in the long run.
Here’s what you need to look for:
- License and Insurance: Never hire a moving company without the proper licensing and insurance in place. Any group of people can call themselves a moving company, even without having the appropriate paperwork. The movers you choose need to comply with the USDOT’s registration requirements and other licensing laws and regulations required by the business bureau. And insurance coverage is essential for protecting your belongings in the case of loss or damage.
- Accurate Moving Costs: Before committing to anything, it’s wise to get an estimate from the moving company first. This way, you’ll be able to budget accordingly. Your estimate will be based on the number of movers needed, how long the job will take, etc. Review the estimate you receive and check for any suspicious or additional fees in the final quote. If you’re unsure what a specific cost is, ask them. If they can’t provide a reasonable response, move on to someone else.
- Proven Track Record: Many state to state movers are fairly transparent about their history in the business, so you shouldn’t have too much trouble familiarizing yourself with them. Review their website and any social media profiles to learn more. It’s best to go with a company that has crossed state lines countless times and has a good reputation with previous customers.
- Online Reviews from Customers: Making decisions about a big purchase can sometimes be challenging, especially when there are so many options to consider. Luckily, the internet makes this a little easier with online reviews from past customers. Take the time to read about the experiences previous customers had with each moving company you consider, so you know who to trust.
It may seem tedious to research each of the companies you come across, but you’ll be thankful you did. The right state to state movers will make the experience pleasant and stress-free.
Compare State to State Movers
Local and Long-Distance Moves
Offers Auto Shipping
Adams Van Lines
Pricing Van Lines
Van line and broker
United Van Lines
The Top 5 Recommended State to State Movers
Before you run off to scour the web for the best state to state movers, we have a few recommendations to pass along. We’ve taken the time to vet many moving companies and storage facilities that assist in moving people from one state to another. After all, it’s important to us that you get the best.
The following list is based on our own research, which consisted of reviewing hundreds of state to state movers. During this process, we checked their verified customer reviews, insurance and license data, and even their federal complaint records. We feel confident that the followingwill provide a reliable, reputable service.
1. Adams Van Lines
Adams Van Lines is a top professional interstate mover that offers moving assistance to many companies working in different parts of the country. If you are moving on a long distance and you need a well-experienced and affordable mover to move you, consider this company as the perfect match for this task.
Adams Van Lines completes each move within the timeline as agreed and make sure the goods are safe all through the transition. Their great customer service support makes the interstate move easier for customers by assigning one point of contact for your entire moving needs.
The company is aware that professional skill is needed for moves that involve long-distance since they are usually full of stress and require several documentation and legal agreement before delivering the service. They will handle your packing, loading, transportation, unloading, unpacking, and even storing your items if necessary.
Overall Rating 4.9 / 5
iMoving provides a platform committed to transparency and reliability between moving companies and consumers for safe and smooth moving transactions.
iMoving is one of the best relocation platforms created to solve moving hassles faced by customers such as surprise charges, late arrival from movers, poor service delivery, extra charges, damage or loss of items, and other types of moving frauds experienced by most people when moving to their new home.
You can locate trustworthy moving companies with great service nearest to you via iMoving. The website contains handpicked moving companies screened and checked to ensure they possess the necessary national certifications, experience, and insurance. iMoving uses previous customers’ reviews and ratings of each mover before they are listed to consumers. You will make several comparisons of different companies to choose the one that best matches your moving needs.
Overall Rating 4.7 / 5
3. Pricing Van Lines
If you are moving to another country, Pricing Van Lines will link you up with the most trusted and reliable state to state moving companies available. They have professionals who understand and know how to plan for interstate moves. The company is well connected with reliable moving agents all across the country to take the stress away from your move.
Pricing Van Lines will send professional packers to your household to help you with providing great packing service. We discovered during comparison to other brokers that their movers are the best in offering national moving services excellently and affordably.
They will not only provide great service, but they will also do it at a price convenient and unmatchable. Allow Pricing Van Lines plan your international state to state moves with you.
Overall Rating 4.7 / 5
4. Mayflower Transit
This company has 80 years of moving experience and is more than qualified to offer state to state moving service anytime you like. They have a better understanding of what clients are. After searching for best state to state movers, we discovered that Mayflower presents in 650 locations across the United States.
They will handle everything professionally and will carefully and accurately map out the route in the possible efficient manner to make sure you get the best outcome. You will instantly develop a sense of trust with them, precisely what you need with a mover.
Overall Rating 4.2 / 5
5. United Van Lines
United Van Lines is one of the best state to state moving companies that have stood the test of time. It has moved both families and businesses across different state lines, which implies it has wide experience in state to state move.
This moving company started out in 1928 at a time when return loads services incorporation was established to take care of shipments and possessions for private companies.
The firm chose the name United Van Service when other similar traveling companies started coming out in the country; however, the firm was dissolved later in June 1933, and all its assets were sent to the present-day United Van Line. The company flourished and had its headquarters situated in Louis. Fenton.
This company has established similar operating companies that offer customized insurance for those looking to move and also sell equipment and offer worldwide moving service. Its success became enormous in 1995 and made its first billion-dollar revenue in a year. If you are looking for a reliable state to state mover in the US, United Van Lines is the answer.
Overall Rating 4.3 / 5
The Following Table Displays The State to State Moving Companies:
|No.||Best State to State Movers of 2022||Website|
|1.||Adams Van Lines||www.adamsvanlines.com
|3.||Pricing Van Lines||www.pricingvanlines.com
|5.||United Van Lines||www.unitedvanlines.com|
How Much Does a State to State Move Cost?
Moving to another state isn’t cheap. There are additional costs that you’ll incur when hiring long distance moving companies compared to a local move.
The ultimate cost of your move will depend on three main factors. These include the total weight of your transported household goods, the mileage the company will travel, and labor costs. With a local move, companies can charge an hourly rate. However, a move across state lines requires them to charge based on the weight of what they’re transporting. That’s why it’s wise to get rid of what you no longer need when packing so you can reduce the weight of your belongings.
On average, the cost to hire state to state movers is about $4,900. This fee is based on the average weight of 7,400 pounds and 1,225 miles traveled. To calculate what your move will approximately cost, use our moving calculator.
Remember that to determine the weight, we assume that a studio apartment will have about 2,000 pounds, a one-bedroom house or apartment will have up to about 3,500 pounds, and a two-bedroom will have 6,000 pounds. So, the more rooms you have, the heavier your delivery will be, and the more it will cost.
Two to three bedrooms
Four to five bedrooms
Less than 50 miles
$240 to $675
$710 to $1,400
$1,100 to $4,900
$800 to $2,300
$1,400 to $3,950
$2,050 to $4,700
Over 1000 miles
$950 to $2,900
$2,100 to $7,800
$4,900 to $8,100
Over 2500 miles
$1,300 to $3,800
$3,400 to $7,900
What Factors Determine the Cost of a Move?
- Packing: If you choose to have the company pack and unpack your belongings for you, you’ll be charged based on the supplies used and the amount of time they spend packing and unpacking your items. These charges may also include any labor costs for the assembly or disassembly of furniture.
- Travel Fees: You’ll also rack up fuel charges and other labor costs as you make the trek to your new home state, meaning that the farther away you’re moving, the more it’s likely to cost.
- Liability and Valuation Coverage: The law requires state to state movers to provide two valuation choices for customers, including Released Value Protection and Full Value Protection. With Full Value Protection, moving companies must replace goods or reimburse customers monetarily for their current value should anything be damaged or misplaced during the move. Released Value Protection covers about $.60 per pound of the shipment. Although it’s the more budget-friendly option, it also offers the minimum coverage required.
- Third-Party Insurance: If you’re particularly worried about the safety of your belongings, you may want to seek third-party insurance for additional coverage. In this case, it’s smart to take photos of all your items so it’s properly documented and can be provided alongside moving receipts.
- Storage: And finally, moves that span long distances sometimes require your household goods to be temporarily put into storage. This means you will encounter additional fees should this be necessary. You can request details about a company’s storage fees ahead of time.
Calculate State to State Moving Cost
How do I Lower Costs During a State to State Move
The good news is, embarking on a state to state move doesn’t have to break the bank. There are a few things you can do to cut down on costs you may incur from a moving company. So, if you’re looking to save a few bucks on your overall moving expenses, keep this advice in mind:
- Pack Belongings Yourself: Some moving companies offer a packing service, which comes in handy if you want to save time and stress on your part. However, packing obviously comes at an additional cost. You’ll be charged based on supplies and time needed to get everything packed up, which includes the disassembly of furniture if needed. You can reduce costs if you do this yourself.
- Register With AAA: Members of AAA may qualify for discounts on moving and storage. It’s worth looking into if you’re looking to save some cash before, during, and after the moving process.
- Get Rid of Items You No Longer Need: Moving is always a reminder of just how much stuff we accumulate over the years. Now that you’re moving, this is the perfect time to donate, sell, or throw out things you don’t have a use for.
- Pick the Right Moving Date: Did you know your moving costs can increase based on your chosen date to head out of town? If you’re looking to save money, we recommended moving either mid-month or mid-week and not in the summertime or near national holidays. Because demand is lower during these times, more movers will be available to assist you and they will do so for a lower rate.
When you receive your estimate from the moving company, don’t think everything is set in stone. If you can make a few changes by implementing these four tips, you’re sure to get those costs down and keep more money in your wallet.
What are Some State to State Moving Tips from the Experts?
Now, you know what to expect when hiring state to state movers. You’re clear on what to look for in a reputable company, and you have an idea of what this move may cost you. But there are a few final tips you should keep in mind to make the experience positive. Here are some tips from the experts:
1. Do Your Research
Even though we’ve provided you with five different moving companies to check out, it’s still important that you do your research. Look into each of the movers mentioned and consider looking for a few of your own, too. This way, you can make an informed decision by choosing the company that best suits your unique relocation needs. You don’t want to be hasty when making a decision here. It’s better to thoroughly research each company because they will make or break how your move goes overall.
2. Request an Estimate First
Most moving companies offer free moving quotes beforehand, allowing you to compare prices before committing to one particular mover. Take advantage of this so you’ll know exactly how much to budget for your move. After all, the last thing anyone wants is a surprise bill. For the most accurate estimate, the company will perform an in-home survey to understand how much stuff they will move into the truck and your new home.
Keep in mind that if you get a non-binding estimate, the moving company isn’t bound to this price. It’s not guaranteed, so the final price at the end of the moving day can differ from what was estimated. Have some wiggle room in your budget to accommodate for this.
3. Start Packing Now
Don’t fall victim to waiting until the last minute to pack your belongings. Otherwise, you’ll be stressed out. If you’re choosing to pack yourself, start packing items little by little instead of hiring the moving company to do it. This way, you can sift through your stuff and pull things to donate, sell, or throw out if you no longer need them since it’ll cut down on moving costs. And if there’s anything new you need to purchase, make a list and wait until after you’ve settled into our new place.
Don’t forget to keep out the items you will need soonest to moving or while moving. You don’t want to pack up everything and then have to look through your boxes to find something you use every (or nearly every) day.
4. Make Sure to Protect Important Documents
While you’re packing, it’s imperative that you keep important documents together in one safe place. You certainly don’t want to lose things like your passport, birth certificate, or social security card in a move. Consider placing them in a locked, fireproof box, or at least place them in a waterproof plastic folder and inside a box where you’ll be able to find them later.
5. Get Ahead with Things Like Schooling and Utilities
If you have school-age children, you’ll need to ensure they’re ready to attend school once you’ve completed your move. Figure out which school your children will be districted for and get in touch with them ahead of time to figure out what’s necessary for enrollment. This will prevent delays in getting your children into school and acclimated to their new environment.
Another thing you’ll want to do is to contact any utility companies. Contact your current utility company and inform them of the date you’ll be moving out so they can cut them off. And don’t forget to contact your future utility companies to get the electricity, garbage, water, etc., turned on before you arrive at your new home. Arriving to no lights, heat (or air conditioning,) or running water won’t be good!
6. Forward Your Mail to the New Address
When preparing for your state to state move, you’ll need to forward your mail so you don’t miss out on important items like bills and bank statements. Contact your local post office, let them know about your move, and put in the request the forward your mail to your new home. Then, you can update your contact information with your bank, health insurance, and any other institution that sends you mail. Since it can take some time before these changes go into effect, it’s best to do this early on.
7. Be Sure to Keep Your Moving Receipt
Our final tip is to hang onto the receipts you receive throughout the moving process. If you donated items in the process, you might want a receipt to document this on your taxes for the year. Also, if you had to move for a job, you may deduct your moving expenses from your taxes or your employer may reimburse you. This is why having a receipt from the moving company is also crucial. Keep these in a safe space so you don’t lose them, and consider saving a picture of them on your phone.
Get a Free Quote
Enter Moving Details and Get your Moving Quote in Seconds.
FAQs About State to State Move
Movers provide various services at certain fees. Talking with different moving companies will enable you to make a comparison of their various services. Ask for previous moving experience from your friends and families as well as neighbors.
Check if the movers are members of any professionally recognized associations in the country such as the AMSA. Also, check the Better Business Bureau or other consumer organizations in your area.
Is there any difference between state to state and intrastate move, and how do they regulate the moving industry?
The arrangement of the professional moving industry is different for various move types, and it will help you with some clarity on local moves (intrastate moves as you don’t cross to another state) and long-distance moves (state to state move because you pass at least one state line and also enters into interstate commerce which is regulated by arms of the USDOT, as well as international moves (which is between the United States and another country in a foreign market which is monitored by the FMC).
The states in which local or state to state moves occur are responsible for its regulations. Almost 30 states have different levels of regulation, and others are not regulated.
Check the office of the attorney general of your state to see if there is any regulated body in the state and which office is in charge of moving companies.
Check www.protectyourmove.org to find a list of state relocation associations and regulatory bodies for the state that the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration monitors.
The overall cost of moving to another state is set at about $4,500, on a distance of 1,250 miles and a total weight of 7,500 pounds.
Creating a budget and relocation checklist is the most important part of organizing a state-to-state move.
State to state moves are charged based on the weight of your things and the distance that you are relocating to and are mostly made to be covered by higher liability in case of a claim against your mover.
International charges are dependent on a combination of the changes in the land between your location and the ports, the ocean shipping between the ports, and any extra customs, handling charges, or portage that may be required in the participating countries.
Let Us Help with Your Long-Distance Move
If you’re about to embark on a move to a brand-new state, we’d love to help you in the process. We can provide you with a quote to know how much to budget for with our online moving calculator. We can even assist in finding and comparing top state to state movers from across the country. After all, moving doesn’t have to be stressful! It can be an easy process with Moving APT.
Call or go online for your state to state move.